In January 1950, the Board began discussions of building a large concrete elevator in the vicinity of Charleston or Pierceville. The Charleston area was chosen because it was in a lower freight zone. A building committee was appointed to find a suitable site. (R.J. Ackley, C.L. Reeve, M.M. Joyce) After meeting with the contractor and ATSF representatives, it was decided that a suitable site for the construction of an elevator in the vicinity of Charleston could not be found.
The building committee met with Ralph and Harold Moore, owners of the Moore Grain Company, about the purchase of their elevator located at Charleston. After due consideration, the Charleston Elevator was acquired by purchase from the Moore Grain Company in February 1950. At the time of purchase, it consisted of the original concrete installation of 105,000 bushels capacity ($100,000) and an iron-clad wood structure of 17,000 bushels capacity ($30,000).
Immediately after purchasing the Charleston Elevator, the first addition of 150,000 bushels was built in 1950 and at the same time, a manager’s residence was constructed. The second addition was built in 1958 and was 236,000 bushels capacity. Almost simultaneously with the completion of the second addition, the third annex of 500,000 bushels was started, and completed in 1959.
It provides a completely modern grain elevator for rapid handling of all grains, both in receiving from farm and loading for shipment. Two dump pits and two elevating legs assure a minimum of time delay during harvest.
In 1967, the wooden frame elevator was sold and later torn down in 1980.
Today, the total licensed storage capacity of grain at Charleston is 1,012,000 bushels.